April 8, 2010

Social Justice Geek

Exciting News Again!

I am really happy and extremely grateful for the blessings in my life. I can't express the amount of joy I have in my heart at the moment and I thought I would share it with you. A little over two months ago, I decided to apply to a youth centre to work casual, while I either attended school full-time or worked full-time (SaskEnergy). This is a passion of mine that I have had for years, and I have always had a desire to help youth. Today, I finally submitted all my employee forms, and took an exam that would be the last determining factor in being hired. Well, a day long exam and 92% later... I passed.

In my youth, I had some experiences that really helped me to evaluate my life. From the time I was younger, I was always taught to be "a good example" to my 5 younger siblings. Sure yes I managed and listened to my mother. However, I don't think I really ever truly internalized that concept until I was about 15 years old, and I followed my younger sisters example to live a good life. From that point on, I made an effort to do good in school and help out within my community. I've been there you know? I understand being a youth is hard; their a lot of obstacles and demands facing todays children and teenagers. I believe support systems are essential into becoming who we are to be.

Three years ago, I had applied to SIAST to be a youth care worker. I was accepted and was getting prepared to move to Saskatoon with my grandpa. A few weeks later, I met a few great people who inspired me to go beyond my own expectations of myself. I then decided to apply to the University of Regina in the Social Work Faculty. Well here I am three fun years later and next june I will be graduating with a Social Work Degree. I suppose I am total social justice geek and I realize it is my passion! I am grateful to have the support of my husband who happens to be a social justice junky as well...okay maybe a political science junky. I am grateful for his ambition to go to law school. What can I say? Josh and I were meant to be. Heart! Any who, I am super excited and super happy to do what I love, and that is to help people.

CHOW
Haha this is not really a picture of me, but you know sometimes I wish I could walk around back then and check it out...GO 80's!

No comments:

Post a Comment